Wednesday, November 2, 2016

If you are undecided about I-732, read this before you vote.

Initiative I-732, the revenue neutral carbon tax swap, is perhaps the most important Washington ballot measure of the decade.

It offers a powerful tool for taking on global warming by reducing carbon emissions in Washington State and could well serve as a model for the rest of the nation.

It offers the chance of a lifetime to improve Washington's highly regressive tax structure, thus aiding low-income families.

The national media has been headlining the importance of I-732 in the battle to stop global warming (see below)


So if you are a Washington State resident, let me give you some reasons to vote for I-732:

1.   Leading climate scientists support I-732.    These are the folks that understand the threat better than anyone.   Example include over 50 University of Washington climate scientists and James Hansen, perhaps the most well known climate scientists in the nation.

2.  Leading economists support I-732.  These are individuals with a deep knowledge of the most effective economic tools for reducing CO2 emissions.  A sample of several dozen economists on all sides of the political spectrum can be found here.

3.  Political leaders on both sides of the political aisle support I-732.   Such as Slade Gorton,  Jim McDermott, Rob McKenna, Mike McGinn,  Gerry Pollett, Bill Finkbeiner, Brady Walkinshaw, Ron Sims, Steve Litzow, and many more.

4.  Major environmental and green organizations support I-732.  Such as the WA Audubon Society, Cascadia Climate Action, Green Party of Seattle, Green Party of SW Washington, Citizens Climate Lobby, Olympic Climate Action, New Progressive Alliance, Climate Action Ministry, and many more.

5.  Washington has the most regressive tax base in the country.  I-732 will radically improve this by reducing the sales tax a full one-percent and providing a tax credit for up to 400,000 low-income families in the state.

6.  Political organizations around the State support I-732.  Examples include:  2nd Legislative District Democrats, 5th Legislative District Democrats, 10th Legislative District, 18th Legislstive District Democrats, 20th Legislative District Democrats, 26th Legislative District Democrats, 32nd Legislative District Democrats, 36th Legislative District Democrats, 38th Legislative District Democrats, 40th Legislative District Democrats, 42nd Legislative District Democrats... and many more.

7.  The arguments against I-732 are false and easily disproved.  For example, some have claimed that I-732 is not revenue neutral and would pull money from state coffers.  Absolutely false.  The state estimate was based on basic errors, as documented by the Sightline Institute and I-732 website.  Others claim it will reduce jobs (just the opposite is the case).

8. The opposition to I-732 to include coal-burning utilities and petroleum lobbyists, who care more about their profits than global warming, and special interest groups that want carbon-tax money directed to their members.

9.  A similar revenue-neutral carbon tax has been a great success in British Columbia. 

10.  The opposition has no plan for moving forward.  

This is such an important vote and one with international significance.  For I-732 to lose would be a tragedy for the State and the nation.  I strong support I-732, I hope you will too.

Need more information, go to the Yes on I-732 website.


No comments:

Post a Comment